Melaka - Where it All Began











A' Famosa
The hallmark of Melaka, was built by the Portuguese in 1511 as a fortress.It sustained severe structural damage during the Dutch invasion. The Dutch had set to destroy it, but the timely intervention by Sir Stanford Raffles in 1808 saved what remains of A' Famosa today.

The Stadthuys
Built in 1650 as the official residence of the Dutch governors it is a fine example of Dutch architecture preserved in its original structure and form. Believed to be the oldest Dutch building in the east, it now houses the historic museum and ethnography museum which has displays and detailed explanations of Melaka’s history, local culture and traditions.

Dutch Graveyard
A war memorial dedicated to British officers and soldiers who died in the Naning War (1831-32).This graveyard was first used at the last quarter of the 17th century. Presently, 5 Dutch and 33 British graves are sited within its compound. This cemetery was used in two stages that is between 1670-1682 and later between 1818-1838.The grave that attracts the attention of most visitors is the one that has a tall column on it where two army officers were killed during the Naning War (1831-1832)

Portuguese Square
“Mini Lisbon” located within the Portuguese settlement, the square is the culmination of Portuguese culture and colour.

Kampung Hulu Mosque
Built in 1728, it is the oldest mosque still remaining within the designated area. It represents a typical Malaccan mosque architecture having a square base with three-tierd roof along with a pagoda like minaret. This type of mosque architecture is unique to the state of Malacca here it displays influences of the Malay, Indian, Chinese and Arabic elements. The main building roof form is of early temple form with Chinese detailing and decoration.

Christ Church
Standing exactly as it has always been since 1753, it was built by the Dutch with pink bricks brought out from Zeeland in Holland and faced with local laterite it has ceiling beams constructed without joints. It has handmade pews, Brass Bible, tombstone written in Armenian and “Last Supper” in glazed tiles.


 
 

 
 
Copyright © 1999 - 2009 GrandReception.com All rights reserved. | By Grand Reception Sdn. Bhd.